26 April 2007

The Girls Weekend

As I have mentioned before in a couple of previous posts, I recently went down to the Margaret River wine region for a weekend away at Wildwood Valley. The weekend included a Thai Cooking class with a fantastic chef and I have to say that the food she served up, as well as the recipes we cooked were some of the best meals I have ever eaten .. and that is no exaggeration! So if you are ever looking for a fantastic weekend away, I would totally recommend it!

(Karine, me and Kathleen)

Here is the basic rundown of our trip ... including some pics :)

THURSDAY: 8.30am - Kathleen and I headed off on the 7 hour drive to Perth. We had organised to break the trip up by spending the night at Kathleen's parents before completing the additional 3 hour trip down to Yallingup/Margaret River. And we managed to do a little shopping in Perth as well.

FRIDAY: 8.00am - We picked up one of Kathleen's work collegues (Karine) and drove down south. First stop was Bussleton where we had lunch on the water at this restaurant called 'The Goose'. It was nice to be near the coast, since we don't often get to the beach!

The Goose Restaurant where we had lunch

Some of the buildings on the jetty

After we had stopped for lunch we hit the road again and visited a few Vineyards to stock up for the weekend, before finally arriving at Wildwood Valley. The 3 course welcoming dinner was actually more like a 5 course Thai spectacular ... and as I mentioned the food was some of the BEST I have ever eaten!! Everything was so delicious and I ate so much I actually found it hard to move afterwards. lol

The menu included; seared salmon salad with a roasted eschallot and chilli dressing; braised beef shin with a hot and sour salad, a wonderful chicken dish which I have forgotten the name of at the moment, a curry dish and to finish a Torta di Limone (or lemon/lime tart) with fresh cream .. did I mention it was DELICIOUS?!?!?!

Then we retired to our beautiful 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom cabin (below), unable to move a lot but feeling VERY contented.

SATURDAY: we started with a walk at 7.00am before heading off to the main house for breakfast. I had some fruit, cereal and poached eggs on toast - yummo! Then at 10.30am it was time to put on our aprons and get cooking! well trying to learn at least.

(me, second from the left - ready to cook!)

After we had finished cooking (four and and a half hours later), we sat down to enjoy our feast. Needless to say, there was no dinner for us on Saturday night and we finished off with some cheese and wine in our cabin at about 8pm.

Did I mention what we learnt to cook? It was; Grilled scallops with peanut nahm jim; grilled beef with green papaya salad and red nahm jim; crisp braised duck with plum sauce; yellow curry of chicken and pumpkin with a cucumber relish and to finish; a black sticky rice with poached banana in coconut cream. Did I mention how delicious it all was???

Kathleen, ready to enjoy the grilled beef!

SUNDAY: After another beautiful breakfast we packed up the car and headed off. We drove down to Margaret River stopping at some Olive Oil places, as well as another vineyard and my favourite The Margaret River Chocolate Company (below). Where we of course stocked up on some yummy chocolate to bring home.

We arrived back in Perth on Sunday night and stayed at Kathleen's mum and dads again before finally driving back to Kalgoorlie on Monday. Quite a whirlwind trip, but SO MUCH FUN!! And we can't wait to do it again. Next time though we are going to do the Italian cooking class.












3 comments:

Pam said...

So glad you had a nice time away and a good vacation! You deserve it girl!

Oh and you've been tagged on my blog! ;)

Rach said...

Looks and sounds like you had a fabulous time away. I can see, it's a beautiful place for some R&R and girlie time.

jen said...

ohhhhhhhhhh what an awesome weekend, glad you had fun...it is lovely down that way isn't it?

Jen