17 September 2015

Sending Birthday Kisses - for The Scrapbook Store

I had a lot of fun creating today’s card using some masking and distress inks.
distress birthday
I started by die cutting the birthday sentiment from masking paper using the My Favorite Things ‘Happy Birthday’ die and then attaching it to the centre of a piece of water colour cardstock by Ranger.
I then used a fun technique which is often called ‘ink smooshing’ to add the distress ink to the cardstock. To do this I took some distress inks and smeared the colour onto a slick surface – I used a laminated piece of A4 paper, but a non stick craft sheet works great too.
Then I added some water to the ink, and used a piece of clear acetate to pick up the colour and apply it (or smoosh it) directly to the card. I worked from left to right, overlapping each colour slightly. I don’t do any specific pattern, just apply it as it comes out and keep going over it until I am happy with it.
Once that was done and I was happy with the coverage, I dried it off using my heat tool and then picked up some leftover colour from my surface using a brush and splattered it onto my card. However I think my card was not as dry as it should have been, since my splatters are not as crisp as I wanted but I still really like the effect that I got.distress birthday closeup
I then splattered some black and white paint spray over the top. The black paint seems to be the only colour that seeped under my mask a little on the ‘h’.
Once it was all dry, I stamped the remaining sentiment onto white cardstock, cut them out and attached them using foam tape. To finish the card off I added some sequins before mounting onto some black cardstock, and then a coordinating card base.
Supplies:
Stamps:  MFT ‘Label Maker Sentiments’ Things (coming soon)
Dies:  MFT ‘Happy Birthday’
Ink:  Versafine Black
Distress Inks
Heidi Swapp Colour Shine (black & white)
Card/Paper:  Ranger Watercolour Paper
Masking Paper
Other:  Double sided foam tape
Sequins
Ranger Non Stick Craft Sheet
Distress Ink Colours:
Mustard Seed, Spiced Marmalade
Picked Rasberry, Seedless Preserves
and Peacock Feathers

No comments: