10 September 2015

Spotlight cards featuring Bionic Bots - for The Scrapbook Store

Today over on The Scrapbook Store Blog, I wanted to share with you a fun technique called the spotlight technique. Most of the examples I have seen feature an uncoloured image with a coloured portion cut out and raised above to stand out. For a bit of a twist I have kept my main panel one layer by using some fun masking.Robot Cards
I started by taking two pieces of white cardstock and randomly stamping the Robots and sentiments all over using black ink. I then cut a piece of masking paper the same size as the white card piece and cut a circle from it using a nestabilities die.
On the first card I used only the circle portion of the mask and then sponged around the rest of the card front using blue distress ink. Once that was done, I used Copic markers to colour the robot and the hearts that fell inside the white circle area.Robot Card Bluerobot card blue closeup
On the second card I used the outside of the mask leaving the circle empty. But since I wanted to colour the hearts and the robots, I also made a mask of those and covered them before sponging inside the circle with green distress ink. I then removed the masks and coloured the robot and hearts inside the green circle.
Once both of the card fronts were finished, I mounted them onto black card and then coordinating coloured cardstock. To finish them off, I added a white embossed sentiment stamped on black card and attached it using foam tape. I also added a little glossy accents to the hearts on the robot’s chest.robot card greenrobot card green closeupSupplies:
Stamps:  MFT ‘Bionic Bots’
Dies:  MFT ‘Blueprints 15′
Spellbinders ‘Circle Nestabilities’
Ink:  MFT ‘Licorice’ Hybrid Ink
Versamark
Card/Paper:  X-Press It Cardstock
Other:  Double sided foam tape
Copic Markers
White Embossing Powder
Copic Colours:
W0, W2, W3, W5, R29
FBG2, BOO, RV02, RV04
Y11, Y13, Y08, Y19, YR16

No comments: